Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Vintage 1950s Film: Father of the Bride






When I was a girl, I enjoyed Father of the Bride. I don't think that I am as crazy about it as an adult, but it is fine. Spencer Tracy plays a dad whose only daughter (Elizabeth Taylor) suddenly springs her engagement plans on her family. Three months later, she is married, but not first without lots of drama and fuss.

My main thought when I watched this time was they sure did drink a lot :) . And they got that pretty wedding together pronto. It was fun to hear them complain about the cost of things, with guests costing about $3.50 a head. Billie Burke played the groom's mother, sounding very much as she did as Glinda, the Good Witch of the east, and looking nearly as beautiful. My favorite movie fashion is the hat sported by Joan Bennett ( Moms) above. That is not a good shot, but it's the closest I could find. You may not agree, but I feel that Taylor's film wedding dress is spoiled by the horrible insert with the little collar. I'm also no fan of the veil. I'm sure that thay were period perfect, but...

You probably also know that this film was remade in 1991 with Steve Martin, Diane Keaton and Kimberly Williams, as the bride to be.

No comments:


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010