Friday, October 10, 2008

Funny David Lubar

I've always heard great things about David Lubar. Apparently, every Teen librarian loves his books. Now, I do too. Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie is a fun read and a nice change from the usual titles on my list. Protagonist Scott meets the challenges of high school life with a great sense of humor. With a new baby brother on the way, a crush on a former kindergarten pal turned freshman beauty, a school thug shaking him down for his pocket change and a multiply pierced, sarcastic new friend (?), he needs it. To make sense of things, he colorfully records his adventures for his new brother to be.
I have to admit a bias here and say that I was expecting silly, gross "Guy" humor (I know, I'm ashamed), but this book delivers more than that (or maybe I'm just sillier than I thought). Scott has a love of language and is game to play around with it, and I loved that. He also introduced me to "Tom Swifties," AKA adverbial puns. Here's my favorite example: "I refuse to read Shakespeare," Tom said unwillingly.
Find more here: http://thinks.com/words/tomswift.htm

No comments:


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010