Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Vintage 1940s film: A Yank in the R.A.F.



A YANK IN THE RAF(1941) Original Theatrical Trailer



The casual sexism in some of these old films is getting to me. In A Yank in the R.A.F., showgirl Carol Brown (played by Betty Grable) has two suitors, Tim (Tyrone Power) and Wing Commander Morley (John Sutton). Tim is an American, a former boyfriend of Carol's, and a bounder who cheerfully admits that he is a worm. Morley treats her respectfully and speedily proposes to her. Guess which one she can't do without?


I picked this one up because I figured that the early World War II setting (this film came out in 1941) would please my husband, and I would be happy looking at the fashionable Ms. Grable. K. enjoyed seeing the planes, many of which, he tells me are no longer around today in flying condition. I had the pleasure of seeing Betty looking smart in military uniform and showgirl dress. She also appears with her bangs down. No pompadour! Check out the trailer above to see what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only watch this film the other day...I would have chosen the gentleman to the cad..


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010