Friday, December 19, 2008

Dress like a 1940s lady

I believe that I've mentioned that I'm crazy about vintage things and particularly, for the purposes of this post, the styles of the 1940s. So, while browsing a favorite site, The Fedora Lounge (see link below) I was pleased to see a discussion of the basics of a forties wardrobe.


Vogue 1941
Originally uploaded by myvintagevogue

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I thought that I'd make a checklist for myself, based on what these wise ladies say:

  • Red lipstick
  • Sportswear separates: skirts and blouses mixed with sweater vests, jackets, and sweaters
  • Gored skirt, slightly below knee
  • Short sleeve sweaters
  • Cotton day dresses (nicer that house dresses)
  • 1 or 2 tailored suits
  • Jacket over day dress
  • Wool, rayon, cotton and crepe
  • Full briefs, tap pants or bloomers in silk, rayon or cotton, worn over
  • Open bottom girdle
  • Slips in silk, rayon or cotton
  • Rayon mesh stockings or leg makeup
  • Lisle stockings, cotton or cotton and wool blend
  • Black market nylon or silk stockings
  • Black and brown accessories that match
  • Snoods, head scarves
  • Gloves
  • Bobby socks with skirts
  • Good black pumps
  • Black or brown low-heeled oxfords
  • Saddle oxfords and brown loafers for casual
  • Working gear, overalls, men's work shirts
  • 49er lightweight jacket

Also, I just checked out Fashions of a Decade: The 1940s by Patricia Baker from my library. It should provide fine weekend entertainment!


No comments:


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010