Monday, November 17, 2008

100 Book Related Things About Me

1. My favorite author is Helen Humphreys
2. My favorite book by her is The Lost Garden
3. I love the Betsy, Tacy and Tib series by Maud Hart Lovelace
4. Growing up I liked Heaven to Betsy the best
5. My favorite book ever is Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
6. I love John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire
7. And I'm very fond of A Widow for One Year, A Prayer for Owen Meanie & Son of the Circus
8. I love Sarah Waters books
9. Especially Affinity
10. I love fairy tales
11. Especially Grimms
12. But also Anderson, Perrault, Wilde and MacDonald
13. Some of my favorite tales are "The Goose Girl"
14. "Fitcher's Birds"
15. "The Juniper Tree"
16. "The Seven Swans" (or eleven)
17. "The Girl With No Hands"
18. I have a crush on Jack Zipes
19. My favorite Maurice Sendak book is Outside Over There
20. The fairy tale "The Red Shoes" fascinated me and scared me silly when I was a kid
21. I also have a crush on Christopher Paul Curtis
22. I really want to meet Kevin Henkes
23. And Marcus Borg
24. I've met Rosemary Wells
25. I love Max and Ruby
26. I love and use The Cake Mix Doctor books
27. I was working at Borders when Roseanne Barr did a signing there
28. And Leslie Nielsen
29. And Jacqueline Woodson
30. As a child, I had both Nutshell libraries, Sendak and Christmas
31. I've always loved the library
32. When I was a girl, I tried to read all of the books in the Children's Room at the Madison Heights Library
33. I didn't though
34. Every time I visited, I looked in the Card Catalog for books about magic
35. Yes, I remember Card Catalogs
36. I mean books like Magic in the Alley or Half Magic or The Chronicles of Narnia, not magic tricks
37. As an adult, I read The Faithful Elephants, and was totally traumatized
38. I can't take sad animal stories
39. I love the books that I've read by Markus Zusak
40. That is The Book Thief
41. And I Am the Messenger
42. Although I don't go to circuses and am terrified of clowns, I like to read about circus folk
43. For example, Ghost Boy by Iain Lawrence
44. Cirkus by Patti Fraze
45. And Geek Love by Catherine Dunn
46. I like Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger, but Pooh's just okay.
47. I hate The Giving Tree, but I love Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book
48. I collect children's literary cookbooks
49. Such as The Alice in Wonderland Cookbook, Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes and The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
50. My first adult book event was with some difficult science fiction authors
51. I love The Little Fur Family
52. I also love Charlotte and Wilbur
53. And Peter Pan and Pinocchio
54. My mom read to me at lunch all through elementary school
55. I was always great at pretending, and I liked to play at being book characters
54. I love, love Ray Bradbury's stories
55. And Edward Gorey's books
56. I don't usually read mysteries
57. I usually only read horror in October, but then I go whole hog
58. I like to read books for spiritual inspiration, mostly Christian and Buddhist
59. I think the kicking dog in hobb nail boots in The Stone Doll of Sister Brute is great
60. I love The Little Prince
61. I like Leslea' Newman's stories, poetry and non fiction. Go Femmes!
62. I'm not fond of The Rainbow Fish, Love You Forever, and Disney books
63. Or many adult bestsellers
64. I like to read teen fiction very much
65. By such authors as John Green
66. Alex Flinn
67. Gail Giles
68. K. L. Going
69. Laurie Halse Anderson
70. I like plots based on fairy tales or lore such as books by
71. Holly Black
72. Robin Mckinley
73. Donna Jo Napoli
74. Clare B. Dunkle
75. Melissa Marr
76. Emma Bull
77. Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple
78. I think you should make sure to read books written or edited by Terri Windling or Ellen Datlow
79. Of course, I'm interested in books about GLBT teens, like those by
80. Nancy Garden
81. Julie Anne Peters
82. Brent Hartinger
83. David Levithan
84. Jacqueline Woodson
85. And many more
86. I especially loved Ellen Wittlinger's book about a F to M teen, Parrotfish
87. I enjoyed Dickens, Hardy, Dostoyevsky and Zola in college
88. Also like Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, Lolita and Shakespeare and Steinbeck in high school
89. I read and liked 1984 before 1984
90. Yes, I majored in English
91. I have two Masters Degrees: one in English with a specialization in Children's Literature and an MLIS with focus on teen and children's services
92. My parents subscribed to Parent's Press (I think) books for me and always got me books from the flyers at school, sometimes a dozen at a time
93. I love gardening books, about flowers rather than vegetables
94. I like books on King Arthur
95. I like Ramona the Pest, Junie B. Jones, Anne of Green Gables, the Little Women, the Middle Moffat, Lucky, and Alice (by Naylor)
96. And James and his Giant Peach, Charlie and his Chocolate factory, and yes, Harry Potter
97. I'm a big fan of the Pigeon and his bus, Dog and his colors, Martha when she speaks, Frog and Toad, Little Bear, George and Martha, Lilly and her plastic purse, and all the corgies at the fair
98. One question: Are You My Mother?
99. I love illustrators like Jerry Pinkney, Gennedy Spirin, K.Y. Craft, Garth Williams, and Arthur Rackham
100. I love so many more authors than I mentioned here. Thank you all!

This was super fun. Thanks for wading through!

No comments:


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010