Sunday, October 19, 2008

Reconciling Sunday

Today my church, Hennepin Avenue United Methodist, celebrated their 15th year as a reconciling congregation. That means it is open and welcoming to all people, including gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender folks. That is very important to me, and I'm proud to be a member.
As a special treat, we had a guest preacher, retired Bishop Melvin Talbert, who has long been a supporter of all civil rights. Apparently, after a past protest, he also spent some time in a jail cell with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That impresses me very much. Talbert has a lifetime of good works behind him and isn't afraid to speak out against injustice and war. I had a very inspiring morning. And you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not have an inspired morning! But I love what Melvin is preaching! Yeah to your church! Mona


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010