Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Cozy Listen

Did I mention that Carroll's Alice books are my favorite books ever? I believe that everyone in my family shared them with me when I was young. I have special memories of my father reading them to me. I love everything about the stories: Alice's conversations with herself, all the peculiar creatures and Carroll's wordplay. My daydream life is now furnished with the Caterpillar and his hookah, the grin without a Cheshire Cat to go with it, the grunting baby that transforms into a handsome piglet and games of crochet played with flamingos and hedgehogs.

This little treat, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is read by Jim Dale, who also performs the Harry Potter books. It's great fun to hear his interpretation of the characters. I love his belligerent Mad Hatter, his guttural-voiced lory in the Caucus Race, and the violent but affectionate Duchess. I recommend it and I hope he next records Alice Through the Looking Glass!

No comments:


Thelma-Louise
1993-2009

Guinan 1990?-2009

Griffin ?-2010